There are some words you hear once and somehow, they never leave you.
They return when you are driving. They appear when the room is quiet. They come
back when you are lying in bed, replaying a conversation you wish you had never
heard, not because the words are necessarily true, but because someone said
them with enough certainty to make you question yourself.
Everyone gets talked about that is a part of human interactions.
Words will be shared about someone else's life, their finances, their choices, and
what supposedly has ever been achieved over many years of this walking life.
Although I know that words spoken about us are not
automatically the truth, I would be lying if I said they do not hurt; they do.
Looking at a Life from the Outside
We have become remarkably good at measuring people's lives
by what we can see.
The house, the car, the job, the bank balance, and the
possessions.
We tend to look at what someone has accumulated and decide whether their life
has been successful, but what we see is rarely the whole story.
With this said, my partner Akin has lived through things that could have
broken him.
He became seriously ill many years ago, lost his home after more than ten
years, lost his employment, and had to rebuild his life from a very different
starting point, and he eventually found his feet again. Not everything that returned
to him was what it had been.
Life doesn't always give us back exactly what it takes away. But Akin carried
on and stood on his feet again.
Then, some years later, cancer entered his life again; this time it was
prostate cancer, but thankfully, treatment is working and he is
doing well.
But when I hear someone reduce a life like that to the
words, "You have worked all these years and have nothing to show for
it", I cannot help wondering what we have become, and what exactly do we
think someone is supposed to have to show for surviving?
What Do We Really Have to Show for Our Lives?
Perhaps we have misunderstood the meaning of success.
Maybe what we must show for our lives is not always
something that can be photographed.
Maybe it is the resilience and standing up after losing almost
everything.
Maybe it is finding reasons to keep going when life has given you every reason
to stop.
Or maybe it is the people who stay, and maybe it is the person
you became after life humbled you.
We don't know what battles someone has fought simply by looking at what they
own, sometimes the people who appear to have the least are carrying stories
of survival that would humble those judging them.
Words About Me
I would like to say that things I hear said about me don’t
matter, but indirectly they do, as much as it says a lot about the other person than it says about me.
Currently I am not employed, and because I am in a relationship that is
long-distance, it was said that I have nothing to offer to being in such a relationship, and that someone else could
supposedly do a better job of looking after my lover than I currently can do, apparently do a better job than i could.
I found myself thinking
about these words far more than I wanted to.
I began asking myself questions I had never needed to ask
before.
Do people really see me that way?
What do I actually contribute?
And that is the frightening thing about words: someone can make a judgement
about you in a few sentences, and suddenly you can spend days defending
yourself to a person who isn't even in the room.
I had to remind myself that someone else's opinion of me
does not become my identity simply because they expressed it confidently.
Of Being Judged
There is something particularly painful about being judged
by the things you do not have.
Things like employment, money, possessions, and status.
I tell myself that relationships have never been built entirely on those things
and people don't stay beside each other because of a payslip.
People stay together because someone listens, because
someone cares, because someone remembers, because someone makes them laugh, because
someone is there when life becomes difficult, and because someone sees them
when they feel invisible.
There are things we contribute to another person's life that will never appear
on a balance sheet and perhaps those are sometimes the things that matter most.
Betrayal Is a Different Kind of Pain
It hurts most not simply because of what was said; it is who
it apparently came from, when someone has been a part of your life for
decades, the trust becomes almost invisible, one can stop thinking about it because
you assume it is there. It could be your parents, best friend, or your siblings and memories
and experiences shared, moments of laughter, arguments, difficult moments, and
countless conversations, and you build a version of that person in your mind.
You
believe you know who they are.
Then something happens that makes you question whether the person you trusted
has been seeing you differently all along, and that is where betrayal becomes so painful.
You don't
only question what was said; you start questioning everything around it.
How long have they felt this way?
What else have they said?
Were the conversations we shared ever what I thought they were?
Did they support me to my face whilst laughing about me behind my back?
Those questions can be more painful than the original words
because once trust is damaged, it is not easily repaired by simply saying,
"I didn't mean it."
We never really know what people say when we leave the room
and that thought can be uncomfortable, although we would like to believe that
the people closest to us speak about us with the same kindness they show us
when we are present and sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, and perhaps that is one of the
difficult truths of being human.
We will never know every conversation that happens when we
are not there, and we cannot control every opinion or correct every
misunderstanding. We also cannot defend ourselves against every story someone tells
about us, and at some point, we have to accept that people are entitled to their
opinions, even when those opinions are cruel. But we are not obliged to carry them.
Someone Else's Words Are Not Your Mirror
I think this is the part I am still learning: when
somebody says something cruel about you, your first instinct can be to prove
them wrong, and you want to produce evidence or explain yourself. But you also
want them to understand that they have got you completely wrong, but perhaps
that gives their opinion too much power. Because the more time we spend trying
to convince someone of our worth, the more we risk forgetting that our worth
was never theirs to determine.
I am learning that I do not have to be employed by someone or
some company to have value.
I do not have to own certain things to have value.
I do not have to live in the same country as the person I love to make that
love meaningful.
I certainly do not have to accept somebody else's description of me simply
because they chose to say it.
Some Words We Carry. Others We Put Down.
There is no pretending that words don't hurt; they do. Especially
when they come from people we trusted and when they touch the insecurities we
rarely admit to having, and especially when they make us question whether the
people around us see us at all.
But perhaps healing begins when we stop asking,
"Why did they say those things about me?"
and start asking,
"Why should their words decide how I see myself?"
I cannot control what someone thinks of me and cannot undo the
words that have already been spoken, but we can decide what happens next, and we
can grieve the trust that has been damaged and acknowledge that those words said
did hurt.
We can allow ourselves to be angry and eventually, we can
put down the words that were never ours to carry in the first place.
Because a person's life cannot be reduced to what they own, and a relationship cannot be measured by the distance between two countries. A
person's worth cannot be calculated by their employment status.
Perhaps there is another lesson in all of this: we cannot
always stop people from telling their stories.
What we can do is make sure we never start believing them.
No comments:
Post a Comment