So Much History in Such a Small Town.

 Although I did not grow up in Gwanda, a town just over 130Km’s from Bulawayo, it is the capital of the province of Matabeleland South, whenever I am in Gwanda there is a strange connecting feeling I experience I wonder if this is because my great grandparents settled in this town when they respectively arrived and made it their home, many, many decades ago. 

I only used to see this town on the few occasions when I passed through by coach on my way to and from South Africa. Gwanda is in an area rich in gold and perfect for the cattle ranching industry,  many decades ago in the 1900’s  some lucky men of European descent came in and made this town their home and established themselves comfortably and making claims to various mines and various farms and they began what is now a history that has changed many lives and creating interconnections within families that I feel someone should write a book about it’s rich history, but then again from the little stories I have heard and been told, I guess the many secrets held within its walls are best left untold.

My first real visit to this town was last month in March when a close friend succumbed to the dreaded cancer, a gold miner died at a young age of 72, he had a large family, he was a straight hands-on kind of man and his shoes will be much too big for just anyone to fill. At his memorial, which was held on one of his mines, I remember having a strange feeling and connection to the place, but I quickly debunked it as just me being sentimental.

Today, four weeks later I find myself back in Gwanda, on the very same mine, only this time I was taking my elder brother Alexander to begin a job there as the mine manager. Somehow, it felt strange its like there is a calling to Gwanda to learn more of the history and I am sure some interesting stories of where my history began will soon unfold.

 I know I will be visiting more of this town.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Journey of Continuous Learning in an ever Changing World.

Navigating Life as a Creature of Habit and an Empath.

My 30th Blog.